Rotaract is an organization of young professionals and students ages 21 to 35 who are committed to service, leadership, and professional development in Lexington and abroad. Our motto is “Service Above Self.”
The Rotaract Club of Lexington
Rotaract strives to encourage young professionals to address the physical and social needs of their communities and to promote better relations between all people worldwide through a framework of friendship and service.
The Rotary Club of Lexington was established in 2008 and continues to grow its membership and serve the Lexington community with each year that passes. The Rotaract Club of Lexington earned the prestigious Presidential Citation in 2014 and 2015, showing the club’s commitment to the Rotary International President’s challenge to be active and engaged.
History of Rotaract International
In the early 1960s, Rotary clubs around the world began to sponsor university youth groups as community service projects. The 1967-68 Rotary President, Luther H. Hodges, and the Rotary Board of Directors considered this club activity to have international relevance, and Rotaract was approved in 1968 as an official program for Rotary Clubs.
The first club chartered was the Rotaract Club of North Charlotte, North Carolina on March 13, 1968. Several decades later the Rotaract program has grown into a strong network of 7,300 clubs in more than 150 countries.
- To develop professional and leadership skills
- To emphasize respect for the rights of others, based on individual recognition of worth
- To recognize the dignity and value of all useful occupations as opportunities to serve
- To practice and promote ethical standards as leadership qualities
- To understand the needs, problems, and opportunities in the community and worldwide
- To motivate young people for eventual membership in Rotary
Attendance & Club Dues
All members must attend AT LEAST FIVE qualifying Rotaract meetings per club year. These include:
- Professional Development Meetings
- Community Service Meetings
- Quarterly Update and Social Meetings
- Executive Committee Meetings
- Rotary volunteer opportunities
- Non-Rotaract volunteer opportunities as announced throughout the year
Rotaract members may “make up” for missing UP TO TWO of the required events by attending Rotary’s weekly luncheons (Thursdays at noon). Each luncheon counts for one missed event. All meetings must be attended in 12-month period beginning July 1 and ending June 30.
The Executive Committee of the Rotaract Club of Lexington meets the fourth Monday of every month at 5:45 p.m. at the law office of Sturgill, Turner, Barker & Moloney, PLLC (333 W. Vine Street, 15th Floor, Lexington, KY 40507). All members are welcome to attend. Meetings typically last approximately one hour.
To remain active, members must also pay dues of $75.00 by July 31 of the new Rotaract year.
- Dues paid after July 31 = $80
- Dues paid after August 31 =$85
- If dues are not paid by October 1, the member shall be deemed “inactive” and will no longer receive benefits of active membership.
A new member whose application is approved between July 1 and December 31 shall pay a pro-rated amount by the last day of the following month.
A new member whose application is approved between January 1 and June 30 shall receive free active membership through June 30 of that year.